Engaging in advocacy is a way of acting for justice and participating in the transformation of the world, to bring about peace and justice for the entire planet. Jesus referred to this as bringing the ‘reign of God’. In this year’s World Mission Day Message, Pope Francis tells us:
“This missionary mandate touches us personally: I am a mission, always; you are a mission, always; every baptized man and woman is a mission. People in love never stand still: they are drawn out of themselves; they are attracted and attract others in turn; they give themselves to others and build relationships that are life-giving”.
This message and the principles of our Catholic Social Teaching call us to not only take care of those in need but to also address the unjust social and economic structures and systems that put people in that situation. There are many ways in which we can use our voices to speak out for justice with, and on behalf of, those in need who for one reason or another aren’t being heard:
- Write to your local mayor, state and/or federal MP about the issue.
- Write a letter to an Australian company representative stating your concerns.
- Speak to your family about what you’re learnt.
- Research an issue and make a presentation to the class, year group or school assembly.
- Challenge stereotypes when you hear them in the playground, in class or at home.
- Use Social Media to highlight what’s happening in Australia and overseas. Make sure to focus on the solutions as well as the challenges of poverty, healthcare, education.
- Connect with your local group of the Young Catholic Students (YCS) movement and think about starting or joining this movement.
- Sign-up to volunteer and support the work of the End Child Detention Coalition
- Get involved with CAPSA (The Catholic Alliance for People Seeking Asylum) or encourage your school to join the alliance.
- Choose one fundraising idea and make it happen at your school.
This year our advocacy resources provide information and actions that may:
- Help the children of Ghana avoid slave-like conditions in the production of chocolate.
- Update you on our ongoing campaign regarding the detention of children globally.
- Provide an update on the impact of mining in the Philippines.